modifications > Rear Wiper Delete
Why did you delete the rear wiper on your RS?
The Focus RS is a hatchback, and that design is very prone to collecting dust at the rear of the vehicle. The downforce that Ford Performance provided with the rear wing only adds to that problem. Take a quick drive down a dusty road, then stop and take a look at your back window. It will be filthy! I had my detailer put a nanocoating on my back glass that
helps bead up water when driving through rain. I only drive my RS in beautiful weather on weekends, so this shouldn't be a problem. If this was my daily driver the wiper would not have been deleted.
Also, the Focus RS is quite heavy for what it is. Every little bit of weight reduction helps unless you choose to add power/torque instead. I plan to keep doing both. :)
Weight reduction aids in performance. In drag racing for every 100 lbs removed your ET drops by 0.1 seconds. I will continue to race my RS more at local autocrosses and a few road course tracks, and removing this weight will help in quicker acceleration, shorter braking distance, and easier rotation for cornering.
- Rear Wiper Delete Kit (from KillAllWipers.com)
- Ziptie(s) for rear wiper harness
- Sweet Tea (optional)
- 1/4" drive ratchet, 6" extension, a few short sockets (8mm, 13mm)
- Phillips screwdriver for rear hatch handles
- Flat blade screwdriver for removing (3) wiper motor clips
- Chingadera to remove rear hatch cover
*A friend for moral support is always optional.
1. Job takes about 1 hour or less, but include cure time for the plug. I took my time because of taking pictures for this website.
2. Only (1) wiring plug needs to be disconnected for this swap = the rear wiper.
3. Demoed pieces include: rear wiper assembly, bolts, retaining clips and jute padding from rear hatch (optional).
4. The rear wiper delete plug needs to be test fit before applying sealant.
5. Tape over the plug (from inside the hatch) for at least 1 week.
6. Ziptie (as required) the rear wiper harness to prevent rattling when the interior panel is re-installed.
7. Reversible back to stock.
8. Total weight removed = 2.8 lb. The jute padding is so light it doesn't register on my bathroom scale. LOL.