modifications > Pierce Motorsports Rear Subframe Braces
Why did you put Pierce Motorsports Rear Subframe Braces on your RS?
Most factory stock vehicles will not have an optimal suspension for racing applications due to set criteria on NVH and cheap budgets set by the corporate bean counters. The general public doesn't want a harsh ride, yet the weekend racing enthusiast wants better handling and performance from their newly purchased vehicle. Who wants a land yacht feeling with tons of body roll while trying to negotiate an autox slalom? Not this guy.
Case in point is the front and rear subframe bracing on the Focus RS. Although Ford had a decent setup for the RS there is always room for improvement. In steps Pierce Motorsports to make things better from a chassis stiffening standpoint.
I chose both the front and rear subframe braces from Pierce Motorsports. These rear subframe braces will add structural rigidity to the rear subframe, which will result with improved grip and better performance for those weekend track events or spirited backroad adventures.
- Pierce Motorsports Rear Subframe Braces (PierceMotorsport.com)
- Permatex blue for subframe bolts and nuts
- Sharpies to mark bolts for movement
- Sweet Tea (optional)
- 3/8" drive ratchet, 6 inch extension, 1/2" breaker bar, 6 inch extension, various sockets (15mm, 18mm deep)
- 3/8" Torque wrench (69 lb-ft)
- 9,000 lb 4-post lift (optional, but highly recommended!)
*A friend for moral support is always optional. If friend isn't available Pandora will suffice.
1. Install takes about 10 mins or so. I took my time because of taking pictures for this website.
2. No wiring plugs need to be disconnected for this swap.
3. Follow along in the pictures for removal/replacement process.
4. Look at image 11 for proper alignment of the new Pierce braces. Angled mounts are on the outside.
5. Torque specs = 69 lb-ft for (1) bolt and (1) nyloc nut each side (with Permatex/Loctite blue lubricant).
6. Leftover parts = factory rear subframe braces and (2) flat washers.
7. Looks stock! :)
8. Easily reversible back to stock.
OE rear subframe braces / all hardware = 3.40 lb.
Pierce Motorsports rear subframe braces / OE bolts/nuts (no washers) = 2.60 lb.
Total weight removed = 0.8 lb.