modifications > Massive Speed Rear Strut Bar
Why did you put a Massive Speed Rear Strut Bar on your RS?
Most factory stock vehicles will not have an optimal suspension for racing applications due to set criteria on NVH and cheap budgets set by the corporate bean counters. The general public doesn't want a harsh ride, yet the weekend racing enthusiast wants better handling and performance from their newly purchased vehicle. Who wants a land yacht feeling with tons of body roll while trying to negotiate an autox slalom? Not this guy.
Although Ford has a decent setup for the RS there is always room for improvement. In steps Massive Speed System to make things better from a chassis stiffening standpoint. I chose the Rear Strut Bar, Rear Adjustable Camber Arms and Rear Adjustable Toe Arms from Massive Speed System. This rear strut bar will add structural rigidity to the rear shock towers, which will result with improved grip and better performance for those weekend track events or spirited backroad adventures.
- Massive Speed Rear Strut Brace (MassiveSpeedSystem.com)
- M8-1.25x30mm (4) Class 8.8 hex cap screws for bottom of Rear Strut Brace
- Sharpies to mark bolts for movement (inside fenderwell only, not in interior)
- Sweet Tea (optional)
- 1/2" drive ratchet, 3/8" drive ratchet, 1/4" drive ratchet, various extensions, various sockets (19mm, 13mm deep, 12mm, T25, E7)
- 12mm combination wrench (backup in fender well)
- Factory RS wheel lock key (in glove box?)
- 1/2" Torque wrench (100 lb-ft)
- 3/8" Torque wrench (25 lb-ft)
- Drill + 5/16" drill bit
- Jack + jack stands
- La Chingadera
- Razor Blade
- Shop Vac
- 9,000 lb 4-post lift (optional, but highly recommended!)
*A friend for moral support is always optional. If friend isn't available Pandora will suffice.
1. Install takes a few hours or so. I took my time because of taking pictures for this website.
2. Four (4) wiring plugs need to be disconnected/reconnected for this swap: (2) rear hatch interior lights, (2) rear shocks.
3. Follow along in the pictures for removal/replacement process.
4. Torque specs = 100 lb-ft for (5) lug nuts each side, 25 lb-ft for all (8) Rear Strut Bar bolts (no anti-seize).
*Note: I put anti-seize on all of my lug nuts. Reduced my torque to 75 lb-ft (25% reduction due to lubricated threads).
5. Leftover parts = rear fender access covers (2), rear shock studs (4), rear harness plastic sheaths (2), Rear Strut Bar hardware (partial).
6. Doesn't look stock.
7. Not easily reversible back to stock. There are now holes in your rear hatch fenderwell carpet.
8. Total weight added = 9.40 lb.