modifications > Racing Seats
Why did you install racing seats in your RS?
Don't get me wrong, I love the factory RS2 package seats in my Focus RS. However, to be more competitive in Autox I need to remove more weight out of it. I weighed my options, and the most logical next step was to install racing seats.
I chose the OMP WRC-R seats with seat and side mount brackets from Planted. Don't forget to purchase (2) of their side mount hardware kits and (1) of their seat hardware kits to complete the installation.
To keep the airbag light from illuminating, I purchased (2) air bag side curtain delete resistors from Ford and a bag of 2.2 Ohm 1W 1% tolerance resistors. I also transferred the occupancy sensor mat from the OE passenger seat into the OMP WRC-R seat. By installing the (2) resistors and occupancy sensor mat I am able to maintain 100% of the remaining functionality from the Supplemental Restraint System (minus the OE front seat side airbags).
Pros to this swap:
- 33 lb of weight removed from my RS!
- The OMP WRC-R seats look amazing!
- No more driver seat side-to-side movement.
- The new OMP driver's seat will help me maintain my seating position during aggressive Autox maneuvers.
Cons to this swap:
- The center console armrest cannot open completely as it hits the OMP seats. However, I can still store things in there and plug in my GoPro or cell phone.
- OMP WRC-R seats have an expiration date for racing.
- Low seating position required foam spacers (2").
- (2) OMP HA/773E/N WRC-R Seats (Amazon.com)
- (1) Planted SB175DR driver seat bracket (Amazon.com)
- (1) Planted SB175PA passenger seat bracket (Amazon.com)
- (1) Planted SHK seat hardware kit (Amazon.com)
- (2) Planted SMHK side mount hardware kits (Amazon.com)
- (2) Planted PA90SM-G grey aluminum universal seat side mounts (Amazon.com)
- (2) Air bag side curtain delete resistors (Tascaparts.com)
- (2) Uxcell 2.2 Ohm 1W 1% tolerance resistors (Amazon.com)
- (1) 1/2" Grade 8 bolt/washers/nut for passenger seat seatbelt clip
- (1) 3/8" Grade 8 bolt/washers/nut for driver seat seatbelt clip
- (1) Black Poly 2-pocket Folder #233-348 (Office Depot)
- High Density Foam for driver seat height adjustment (local upholstery shop)
- Zip ties
- Sweet Tea (optional)
- 1/4" + 3/8" drive ratchets, various sockets (15mm, T20, T50)
- 15mm combination wrench (existing seat bolts on Planted bracket)
- 13mm combination wrench (new seat side mount nuts)
- (2) 9/16" combination wrenches (new bolt for driver seatbelt clip to Planted bracket)
- (2) 3/4" combination wrenches (new bolt for passenger seatbelt clip to Planted bracket)
- 5mm Allen with head cut short (side mount bolts)
- 3/8" Torque wrench with 15mm Crowfoot
- Soldering iron + solder
- Flat blade screwdriver
- Irwin Quick-Grip Clamp
- Needle nose pliers
- Side cutters
*A friend for moral support is always optional. If friend isn't available Pandora will suffice.
1. Install takes a few hours. I took my time because of taking pictures for this website.
2. Disconnect your battery before working with the seats and airbags. Reconnect it at the end.
3. (2) wiring harnesses need to be disconnected/reconnected for this swap (driver seat, passenger seat).
4. (8) wiring plugs need to be disconnected/reconnected for this swap (driver/passenger seat harness, seatbelt clips, airbag resistors, seat rail sensors).
5. Follow along in the pictures for removal/replacement process.
6. Torque specs = 30 lb-ft for (8) seat base bolts to RS chassis.
7. Leftover parts = OE driver/passenger seats, plastic underseat A/C channels, harness tabs, and seat heater modules.
8. Does not look stock. :)
9. Reversible back to stock. But why would you?
OE underseat A/C channels (driver + passenger) + OE seat heater modules + OE harness tabs = 1.80 lb.
OE Driver Seat = 52.20 lb. OE Passenger Seat = 47.00 lb. (Each includes a seatbelt clip)
OE Driver Seat harness = 0.60 lb. OE Passenger Seat harness with Occupancy Sensor Mat = 1.40 lb.
OMP Seat = 21.00 lb. Planted seat base = 7.80 lb. (2) Planted aluminum side mounts + fasteners = 3.80 lb.
OMP Driver Seat + Side Mounts + Seat Base + Seatbelt Clip + Hardware + OE Wiring Harness + Resistor Plug + Foam Spacer = 33.80 lb.
OMP Passenger Seat + Side Mounts + Seat Base + Seatbelt Clip + Hardware + OE Wiring Harness + Resistor Plug = 34.20 lb.
Total weight reduction = (52.20 - 33.80) + (47.00 - 34.20) + (A/C channels 1.80) = 18.40 + 12.80 = 33.00 lb
1. For testing purposes only, I temporarily took out the thick foam below the carpet underneath the driver seat. The foam starts behind the seat in the rear floorboard area, and it stops under the steering wheel. There is a separate piece of foam in the driver's floorboard area. In order to measure just the driver's side, I cut the foam behind the center console hump (it's one big foam piece under both front seats). The driver's side foam weighed in at 0.60 lb. I put the foam back in. It's worth the weight penalty for heat, vibration, and sound rejection.