modifications > RDU Bushing Inserts
Why did you install RDU Bushing Inserts on your RS?
Most factory stock vehicles will not have an optimal suspension for racing applications due to set criteria on NVH and cheap budgets set by the corporate bean counters. The general public doesn't want a harsh ride, yet the weekend racing enthusiast wants better handling and performance from their newly purchased vehicle. Who wants a land yacht feeling with tons of body roll while trying to negotiate an autox slalom? Not this guy.
Case in point is the multitude of rubber-lined bushings on the Focus RS. Although Ford had a decent setup for the RS there is always room for improvement. In steps Powerflex to make things better from a chassis stiffening standpoint.
I chose both the front and rear bushing inserts for the Rear Drive Unit (RDU) on my Focus RS from Powerflex. Instead of replacing the OE bushings these Powerflex inserts fill any voids to add structural rigidity, which will result with improved grip and better performance for those weekend track events or spirited backroad adventures.
- Powerflex MK3 Focus RS RDU Bushing Inserts (PowerflexUSA.com)
PFR19-1830BLK = (1) Front Bushing Insert (Race)
PFR19-1831BLK = (2) Rear Bushing Inserts (Race)
- Mechanics wire to hold rear passenger bushing heat shield up
- Sharpies to mark bolts for movement
- Permatex blue for (3) RDU bolts
- Sweet Tea (optional)
- 3/8" drive ratchet, 12 inch extension, 1/2" drive ratchet, 1/2" female to 3/8" male adapter, various sockets (T-55, 13mm deep for exhaust v-bands)
- 10mm ratcheting combination wrench, 13mm regular combination wrench
- 3/8" Torque wrench (66 lb-ft)
- Medium length pry bar
- Irwin Quick-Grip adjustable clamp
- Large vice-grips
- Wife's blowdryer to soften RDU bushing heat shields
- 9,000 lb 4-post lift (optional, but highly recommended!)
*A friend for moral support is always optional. If friend isn't available Pandora will suffice.
1. Install takes about 45 mins or so. I took my time because of taking pictures for this website.
2. No wiring plugs need to be disconnected for this install.
3. Follow along in the pictures for removal/replacement process.
4. Torque specs = 66 lb-ft for (3) RDU bushing bolts. Permatex blue lubricant.
5. Leftover parts = None.
6. Looks stock. :)
7. Easily reversible back to stock.
8. Total weight added = Negligible.