modifications > DEPO Racing Full Intake Kit (minus filter)
Why did you change out the Intake on your RS?
The factory Focus RS (full) intake system consists of the typical conical filter provided by the OEM, plastic piping with a few banded joints, ending at a coupler on the turbocharger inlet elbow. There are multiple restrictions (bottlenecks) in the plastic piping, and the accordion-style flex joint near the intake temp sensor promotes turbulence in the intake air stream.
In steps DEPO Racing with a full 3 inch OEM grade (2 mm thick) aluminum intake kit. Included in the kit are new silicone couplers and clamps. Because the factory Focus RS air box is so efficient, it is retained. I already upgraded the filter to the AEM Dryflow in a previous install. Since the DEPO Racing full intake system can be purchased with or without an upgraded filter, I opted for the full intake minus the filter. I even found a coupon code floating around the Focus RS forum that saved me enough money for a few large Sweet Teas. Mint! 👌
- DEPO Racing Full Intake Kit (minus filter)
- Ziptie for vacuum line near HPFP
- Silicone spray for persuasion
- Sweet Tea (optional)
- 1/4" drive ratchet, 6" and 12" extensions, various sockets (7mm, 8mm, 10mm, 11mm, 12mm, 5/16")
- Phillips screwdriver, Phillips bit + Crescent wrench for (2) new airbox elbow screws
- M6x1.0 tap (if needed) for valve cover hole on middle intake pipe
- Needle nose pliers or "Chingadera" vehicle trim tool to remove wiring harness clip on factory airbox sensor
*A friend for moral support is always optional.
1. Install should take about 30-45 mins. I took my time because of taking pictures for this website.
2. Only (1) wiring plug needs to be disconnected/reconnected for this installation (intake temp sensor).
3. My RS was a little dirty after coming back from the dealership. HG Recall finally completed!
4. Reversible back to stock.
OE intake including airbox + AEM Dryflow filter, plastic piping sections, couplers, and clamps = 7.80 lb.
DEPO Racing intake including airbox + AEM Dryflow filter, metal piping sections, couplers, and clamps = 7.40 lb.
Total weight reduction = 0.40 lb.