modifications > ETS FMIC + Piping
Why did you put a new FMIC and Intercooler Piping on your RS?
The factory Focus RS front mount intercooler (FMIC) is susceptible to heatsoak (as are most OEM units). The Extreme Turbo Systems (ETS) FMIC is the easiest way to improve power by eliminating the heatsoak. Factory ECU calibrations start reducing timing once the charge air temperature reaches 100F, and the higher the temperature the more the timing gets reduced. The ETS upgraded FMIC prevents the heatsoak and keeps the charge air temperature within 10-20 degrees F of ambient temperature. This ensures that I have consistent power on the street, 1/4 mile track, or road course.
- ETS Focus RS FMIC (provided with Tune+ W400 kit)
- ETS Focus RS Intercooler Pipe Kit
- 1/4" drive ratchet, handful of extensions, a wobbler, tons of short sockets (T30, 7mm, 8mm, 10mm, 11mm, 13mm)
- Trim removal tool to pull clips on undertray, radiator shroud, and bumper
- Allen (hex) wrench included with ETS FMIC hardware bag along with new bolt to hold down OEM air sensor
- Cordless impact (to prevent future carpal tunnel syndrome)
- Small pick to aid in moving silicone hoses around the end of a few pipes
- Telescoping magnet to help with top FMIC bolts and bumper bolts under headlights
- 10mm combination wrench for upper FMIC bolts inside frame
- 10,000 lb 2-post lift (optional, but highly recommended!)
- Flashlight or Movable shop lighting
*A friend for moral support is always optional.
1. Install takes about 4 hours or so. I took my time because of taking pictures for this website.
2. Sorry, I got caught in a rainstorm en route to my buddy's garage. Car is wet & dirty in the pics.
3. The front wheels/tires DO NOT need to be removed for this FMIC + IC pipe install.
4. I recommend doing this swap on a somewhat cold engine. Otherwise you will get roasted a few times in cramp quarters near hot engine spots.
5. Lay everything out as you go (old vs new). There are no instructions. If it doesn't fit don't force it. Try not to zap yourself near the alternator.
6. There is some sort of anti-corrosion tan "goo" inside the front crash bumper/frame section. Just a heads up for those (2) upper FMIC bolts.
7. Only (4) wiring plugs need to be disconnected for this swap. Driver side fog light harness. Driver + Passenger headlights. FMIC air sensor (passenger side).
8. Leftover parts = (2) large #288 Breeze clamps possibly used on ETS FMIC with OEM IC pipes and (4) small flat washers.
9. Looks stock! Nobody noticed it at Cars & Coffee today. It is a Focus after all. :(
10. Easily reversible back to stock.
11. Total weight added = 16.80 lb.