modifications > DHM Crash Bar
Why did you install a DHM Crash Bar on your RS?
The Focus RS is quite heavy for what it is. Before today my RS weighed in at 3,273 lb after my tasteful weight reduction thus far. After the crash bar install below it weighs 3,249 lb. Every little bit of weight reduction helps unless you choose to add power/torque instead.
Weight reduction aids in performance. In drag racing for every 100 lbs removed your ET drops by 0.1 seconds. I will continue to race my RS more at local autocrosses and a few road course tracks, and removing this weight will help in quicker acceleration, shorter braking distance, and easier rotation for cornering.
11/19/17, 12/15/17 (jumper wire)
- DHM Crash Bar (purchased used from Focus RS.org)
- Scraps of steel for intercooler top tabs
- Sweet Tea (optional)
- 1/4" drive ratchet, 6" & 12" extensions, a few short sockets (T30, 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 13mm)
- Phillips screwdriver for lower bumper retaining clips
- Chingadera to remove wiring harness tab locations
- Flashlight or Movable shop lighting
*A friend for moral support is always optional.
1. Job takes about 4 hours or less. I took my time because of taking pictures for this website.
2. Tons of wiring plugs need to be disconnected for this swap. (2) headlights, (2) airbag sensors, hood latch, (2) windshield washer fluid tank, (1) front bumper, (2) horns, airbox sensor.
3. Demoed pieces include OE crash bar, front bumper to radiator plastic side deflectors, driver side horn bracket/bolt.
4. Reversible back to stock.
- Factory crash bar + (2) plastics + driver side horn bracket/bolt = 25.0 lb
- DHM crash bar + tow hook bracket + passenger side horn bracket/bolt = 9.6 lb
- Crash bar savings = 25.0 - 9.6 = 15.4 lb
- Drain windshield washer fluid tank = 5.4 lb
- Demo Ford Performance engine cover = 2.2 lb
- Demo front fender black bags and padding = 0.6 lb
- Total weight removed = 15.4 + 5.4 + 2.2 + 0.6 = 23.6 lb.
*These weights were all taken with my bathroom scale. Don't get too excited as I may be off a few pounds here or there.
6. Sorry for the lack of photos to remove the front bumper. I suggest watching Blake's Garage on Youtube and watching their Focus RS intercooler install video.
7. Looks factory once the front bumper is put back on. Nobody will know you dropped almost 25 lb off the front of your RS!
8. Images 71-72 were added on 12/15/17 after installing a jumper wire on the windshield washer fluid reservoir connector. No more low fluid message on start-up.