maintenance > New Cabin Filter
Why did you swap out the cabin filter on your RS?
All filters need to be changed on a regular interval on automobiles. The cabin filter, in particular, keeps the air conditioning system blower in top working order. Some RS owners have complained of a mildew smell when the A/C is on. The cabin filter ends up being the culprit each time.
It is recommended to swap out the factory RS cabin filter sooner than the 15,000 mile interval. This is because of the boat ride that most RS's take to get to their new owners. Although the RS engine isn't running while on the ship, there's still a chance of debris getting into the fresh air intake for the A/C system. Changing out the first cabin filter filter sooner than the interval prevents any damage to the A/C blower.
After changing the cabin filter out on your RS after delivery, you may be able to change back to the regular interval of 15,000 miles. Your mileage may vary.
- MicroGard Cabin Filter (#4079 from O'Reilly's Auto Parts or alternate)
- Sweet Tea (optional)
- 1/4" drive ratchet, 6 inch extension (T-15)
*A friend for moral support is always optional. If friend isn't available Pandora will suffice.
1. Install takes about 10 mins or so. I took my time because of taking pictures for this website.
2. No wiring plugs need to be disconnected for this swap.
3. Follow along in the pictures for removal/replacement process.
4. Leftover parts = OE Focus RS cabin filter.