modifications > Pierce Motorsports Front Subframe Brace
Why did you put a Pierce Motorsports Front Subframe Brace on your RS?
Most factory stock vehicles will not have an optimal suspension for racing applications due to set criteria on NVH and cheap budgets set by the corporate bean counters. The general public doesn't want a harsh ride, yet the weekend racing enthusiast wants better handling and performance from their newly purchased vehicle. Who wants a land yacht feeling with tons of body roll while trying to negotiate an autox slalom? Not this guy.
Case in point is the front and rear subframe bracing on the Focus RS. Although Ford had a decent setup for the RS there is always room for improvement. In steps Pierce Motorsports to make things better from a chassis stiffening standpoint.
I chose both the front and rear subframe braces from Pierce Motorsports. This brace ties the back of the front subframe into the unibody adding structural rigidity, which will result with improved grip and better performance for those weekend track events or spirited backroad adventures.
- Pierce Motorsports Front Subframe Brace (PierceMotorsport.com)
- Sharpies to mark bolts for movement
- Sweet Tea is optional
- 3/8" drive ratchet, 6 inch extension, 1/2" breaker bar, 6 inch extension, various sockets (13mm, 21mm)
- 3/8" Torque wrench (46 lb-ft)
- 1/2" Torque Wrench (103 lb-ft)
- 9,000 lb 4-post lift (optional, but highly recommended!)
*A friend for moral support is always optional. If friend isn't available Pandora will suffice.
1. Install takes about 10 mins or so. I took my time because of taking pictures for this website.
2. No wiring plugs need to be disconnected for this install.
3. Follow along in the pictures for removal/replacement process.
4. I recommend placing a jack under the front subframe before removing the bolts.
5. The (2) 21mm bolts seem to be torque-to-yield fasteners. I will be replacing them later when I install my coilovers and front swaybar.
6. Torque specs = 46 lb-ft for (2) 13mm bolts and 103 lb-ft for (2) 21mm bolts. No lubricant.
7. Leftover parts = None.
8. Can't see it, but it doesn't look stock. :)
9. Easily reversible back to stock.
Pierce Motorsports front subframe brace (Weight Addition) = 4.18 lb.