modifications > Autox Wheels & Tires
Why did you install Autox Wheels & Tires on your RS?
I love to race my 2016 Focus RS. Drag Racing is exciting, but the RS wasn't really designed for that type of motorsport. Sure, mine will run mid 12s in cooler weather now, but I want more bang for my entrance fee bucks. Autocross (autox) is a type of competitive driving against other drivers/vehicles in a parking lot, small airfield, etc. with the Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) local chapter. Typically there's only (2) vehicles out on track at once due to the
small track size and timing equipment limitations. Max speeds of ~60mph or less are attained. In a typical autox lap the driver has more inputs than a Formula 1 driver. Sure, the speeds and g-forces are much lower in autox, but the smiles per gallon of gasoline burned are still up there. No $150+ million annual budgets here. Pay $30 per weekend day of racing + a quick lunch break to the local mexican restaurant.
I compete in the Street Mod (SM) class for autox. My other competitors are other RS owners, Subies with slicks, and the occasional Mustang. Feel free to browse my Pics/Videos link for autox videos and event standings (when I ran on the stock suspension and forged wheels + Bridgestone Pilot Super Sports). Now I've upgraded the suspension with coilovers, much stiffer springs, lowered the ride height, added stiffer sway bars, and now added much lighter wheels and Hoosier A7 autox racing slicks. Things just got turned up to 11. *air guitar solo* Continue to check the Pics/Videos link and see if my autox standings get any better. Do I have what it takes for the Fastest Time of the Day (FTD)?
- (4) Enkei RPF1 Wheels, 18x9", 35mm offset, 5x108 (Oakos.com)
- (4) Hoosier A7 tires, P275/35ZR18 (local Discount Tire)
- (4) OEM Focus RS lug nuts to replace locking nuts, part #ACPZ-1012-H (TascaParts.com)
- Masking tape, garbage bag, cardboard, Scotch-Brite pad and paint for painting rear hubs
- Sweet Tea (optional)
- 1/2" drive ratchet, short extension, socket (19mm, factory RS wheel lock key)
- 1/2" torque wrench
- Jack & Jack stand
- 9,000 lb 4-post lift (optional, but highly recommended!)
*A friend for moral support is always optional. If friend isn't available Pandora will suffice.
1. Install takes 30 mins or less. I took my time because of taking pictures for this website.
2. No wiring plugs need to be disconnected/reconnected for this installation.
3. The OEM Focus RS locking lugs can't be used for the Enkei wheels because they are too large in diameter to fit the hole.
4. While I had the rear wheels off I sanded and painted the inside of each rear hub. I won't be running center caps on these wheels, so they had to match the front.
5. Not enough clearance for the front brake calipers to run stick-on wheel weights. Instead, I have to run the hammer-on wheel weights.
6. Loosen lug nuts before jacking up your RS. Jack up RS. Remove everything. Replace everything.
7. Torque specs = 100 lb-ft for lug nuts.
*Note: I put anti-seize on my lugs. Reduced my torque to 75 lb-ft (25% reduction due to lubricated threads).
8. Reversible back to stock for street driving. These tires are NOT street legal.
9. Recommended Tire Car and Safety Guidelines for Hoosier Racing Tires R7 & A7: [click here]
(1) OE Ford Performance Forged Wheel, 19x8", 50mm offset + Bridgestone Pilot Super Sport, 235/35R19 = 47.20 lb.
(1) Enkei RPF1, 18x9", 35mm offset + Hoosier A7, P275/35ZR18 + Plastic Hub Centric ring = 42.00 lb.
Total weight reduction = 20.80 lb. (4 wheels/tires)